Orphans Reunite at RiverWoodsJul 25, 2017 10:26AM ● By Erica Shames
On Saturday, July 15, six former residents of the United Evangelical Home Orphanage and their family members gathered at Marlow Hall on the RiverWoods campus for their annual reunion.
Opening its doors to receive its first 22 children on Nov. 10, 1921, the orphanage operated until July 1959, and served more than 250 children. In 1960, the building was converted to house elderly residents and renamed Gamber House, in honor of Hattie Gamber, the orphanage matron from 1939 until it closed. In May of 1988, Gamber House was remodeled again and serves as Albright Care Services’ corporate office.
The Evangelical Orphanage Alumni Association was formed on July 27, 1956, and the first annual meeting was held July 27, 1957, at the Lewisburg Club. They continue to meet each year for a time of reminiscing, looking at old photographs and scrapbooks, and sharing in a meal catered by RiverWoods.
PHOTO CAPTION: Front row l-r: Georgene Marsh Stocker, Donald Henry, Elaine Crum Ryan; back row l-r: Beverly Marsh Montowski, Michael Cahill, Judy Hockenbrocht Tudor