How to Manage the Emerald Ash Borer on Your Property
Sep 12, 2019 04:21AM
The United States Department of Agriculture recommends:
- Know the symptoms of emerald ash borer: thinning or dying of ash tree crowns, suckers at the base of the tree, splitting bark, tunneling under the bark, D-shaped exit holes and woodpecker activity;
- Call the USDA Emerald Ash Borer Hotline at 1-866-322-4512 or your local USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service office if you think you’ve found an EAB infestation;
- Record the area where you found the insect and take photos of the insect along with any damage;
- Don’t move firewood from your property or carry it across state lines.
- Buy firewood from local sources and burn it where you buy it;
- Buy kiln-dried firewood;
- Before spring, burn your remaining firewood supply to eliminate the chance of EAB spreading to live trees.