Susquehanna Life Magazine History -- 1993
Jan 03, 2018 11:28AM ● Published by Erica Shames
Gallery: Susquehanna Life Magazine First Issue [3 Images] Click any image to expand.
(See accompanying newspaper articles, below, which appeared in 1) the July 1, 1993, issue of the Daily Journal (now Standard-Journal), introducing the magazine, and 2) the December 1993 issue of NE PA Business Journal, announcing the magazine's January debut.)
The first issue of Susquehanna Life magazine debuted Winter 1993, and a premiere-issue party was held at Tedd's on the Hill, Jan. 27, 1993, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
The publication of the first issue was covered by WYOU-TV, as founder and publisher Erica L. Shames received delivery of 8,000 copies of the first issue to her Lewisburg home, and subsequently delivered some to the Susquehanna Valley Visitors Bureau. (Access the video at https://youtu.be/yqtqTBaOjtI?t=12.)
A driving snowstorm threatened to cancel the premiere-issue party, but the event took place successfully as planned, with a variety of business leaders in attendance--business owners and marketing and advertising managers we are eternally grateful to for taking a risk on a new entrepreneurial enterprise--the region's original lifestyle magazine.
These businesses included:
- WMLP radio (John Yingling and Don Steese helped us with advertising and allowed us to air our Valley Lifestyle Updates on WVLY, which gratefully continue today, under Roger Haddon's ownership of Sunbury Broadcasting);
- PROgraphics (whose talented graphic design department created the first few issues of the magazine);
- The Terry Wild Studio (whose award-winning photography often graces the pages of Susquehanna Life magazine);
- The Sigmund and Claire Weis Center for the Performing Arts at Bucknell University*;
- J. Kleinbauer (Joe was an avid advertising supporter and cheerleader, and a personal friend);
- WRAK radio;
- Classic Realty (Mary Mastascusa is a friend and neighbor);
- Kuhns Brothers;
- Lewisburg Merchants: Campus Theatre*, W.L. Donehower, The Learning Source, The Open Door Gallery*, Premiere, Susquehanna River Valley Visitors Bureau*, Dogwood Hill, Foss Jewelers*, The Lexicon Bookstore, Peachbottom's, Roger's Men's Wear, The Wardrobe;
The Printed Page;
- Lewisburg Office Equipment and Copy Centre;
- Fine Line Homes* (sales manager Mark Bittner has been an avid supporter of the magazine for years, and Fine Line Homes remains one of our longest-running advertisers);
- Villager Realty;
- The Housing Center;
- The Inn at Olde New Berlin (John and Nancy were avid supporters of the magazine, and are good friends);
- Irvin's (an advertising supporter for years); and
- Wood-Mode* (still advertising, through our friends Liz and Mike Griffin at Lewisburg Builders Supply).
Articles in the first issue included:
- Good Morning, Central Pennsylvania by Erica L. Shames;
- Hackenberg's Bees: They Make Honey, Don't They by Leslie Joyce;
- 'Tis the Season Not to be Jolly;
- Gabriel's Restaurant: The Inn at Olde New Berlin;
- Lewisburg: A Look Back in Time by Kenn Reagle;
- How to Buy a Home--Tips from The Experts by Erica L. Shames;
- A Bit of Nostalgia (Dewart General Store); and
- An Insider's View of New Berlin by Pat Parker (a friend, whose articles graced the pages of the magazine for years).
Stay tuned throughout 2018 to learn more about the history of Susquehanna Life magazine as we celebrate our 25th anniversary!
* Denotes businesses that still advertise in Susquehanna Life magazine!