Hillary Clinton to Keynote Geisinger Healthcare Symposium
Oct 10, 2017 10:21AM
By Erica Shames
Hillary Clinton will serve as the keynote speaker for Geisinger’s upcoming national healthcare symposium, “From Crisis To Cure: Revitalizing America’s Healthcare System.”
The invitation-only event will be held Nov. 8, 9 and 10 on the Danville, Pennsylvania, campus of Geisinger Medical Center and will bring together a panel of the nation’s leading healthcare experts on policy, patient experience, wellness and technology.
“We have invited the greatest minds to participate in a powerful conversation about the future of health in America,” said David T. Feinberg, M.D., MBA, Geisinger president and CEO. “There are plenty of people talking about what’s not working but it’s time to change that narrative. Geisinger’s history of innovation and our commitment to improving the patient experience served as the impetus for hosting this symposium.”
In addition to the former first lady, U.S. Senator and Secretary of State, symposium speakers and their topics include:
- Current State of Healthcare: Gail R. Wilensky, Ph.D., American health economist and former White House healthcare adviser to George H. Bush, she is a senior fellow at Project HOPE, an international health foundation
- America’s Healthcare Crisis: Ezekiel J. Emanuel, M.D., Ph.D., former White House healthcare adviser to President Barack Obama and a key architect of the Affordable Care Act. An oncologist and bioethicist, he is a senior fellow at the Center for American Progress
- Transformative Power of Lifestyle Medicine: Dean Ornish, M.D., physician, author, Nobel Prize co-recipient and founder and president of the non-profit Preventive Medicine Research Institute
- Positive Impact of the Private Sector in Healthcare: Howard Dean, M.D., former Vermont governor and former chairman of the Democratic National Committee who ran for the party’s presidential nomination in 2004
- Transparency and Patient Experience: Thomas H. Lee, M.D., chief medical officer at Press Ganey, the organization that partners with national health care organizations to improve the safety, quality and experience of patient care
- Transformative Power of Technology: Judy Faulkner, founder and CEO, Epic, the leading electronic health record software company in the United States
“We look forward to the discussions, the challenges, and the questions the symposium speakers will undoubtedly raise,” said Dr. Feinberg. “We realize we can’t sit back and wait for healthcare to change. It’s our responsibility and it starts by disrupting healthcare from the inside out.”
Geisinger is an integrated health services organization widely recognized for its innovative use of the electronic health record and the development of innovative care delivery models such as ProvenHealth Navigator®, ProvenCare® and ProvenExperience®. As one of the nation’s largest health service organizations, Geisinger serves more than 3 million residents throughout 45 counties in central, south-central and northeast Pennsylvania, and also in southern New Jersey at AtlantiCare, a Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award recipient. In 2017, the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine and Geisinger Jersey Shore Hospital became the newest members of the Geisinger Family. The physician-led system is comprised of approximately 30,000 employees, including nearly 1,600 employed physicians, 13 hospital campuses, two research centers, and a 583,000-member health plan, all of which leverage an estimated $12.7 billion positive impact on the Pennsylvania and New Jersey economies. Geisinger has repeatedly garnered national accolades for integration, quality and service. In addition to fulfilling its patient care mission, Geisinger has a long-standing commitment to medical education, research and community service. For more information, visit www.geisinger.org, or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.