Weis Center’s Spring Season Features 20 Professional Performances
Jan 03, 2017 02:02PM ● Published by Erica Shames
The spring season will kick-off on Saturday, January 21 at 1 p.m. with a family-friendly performance by Mermaid Theatre of Nova Scotia called Brown Bear, Brown Bear and Other Treasured Stories at the Weis Center. Patrons are encouraged to come early, as the Bloomsburg Children’s Museum will host free kids activities in the Lobby including a giant interactive mural, mask-making and a light box station.
The Weis Center’s spring season includes:
- Bluegrass music from The HillBenders as they present Tommy: A Bluegrass Opry
- Coal Collections year-long series continues with two performances: Chilean puppet company Silencio Blanco presents “Chiflon, El Silencio del Carbon” and Julia Wolfe’s 2015 Pulitzer Prize-winning oratorio Anthracite Fields.
- Two classical performances: Dover Quartet with Colleen Hartung on clarinet and brass ensemble tenThing
- A Family Discovery Series that includes six events: Mermaid Theatre of Nova Scotia: Brown Bear, Brown Bear and Other Treasured Stories, Momix Opus Cactus, Tony-nominated musical A Year with Frog and Toad, Dr. Seuss’ The Cat in the Hat, Golden Dragon Acrobats and Shaolin Warriors.
- Jazz by Cyrille Aimee, The Bad Plus, and Dr. Lonnie Smith (free!)
- Hawaiian masters George Kahumoki Jr, Nathan Aweau and Kawika Kahiapo performing Hawaiian/slack key guitar
- Comedian Paula Poundstone
- World music from the Bulgarian Women’s Choir, Mariachi Los Camperos and traditional celtic ensemble Caladh Nua
The Weis Center’s expanded 32-page season brochure and ticket order form can be downloaded from Bucknell.edu/WeisCenter.
To request a hardcopy brochure, contact Lisa Leighton, marketing and outreach director, at 570-577-3727 or email lisa.leighton@Bucknell.edu and one will be mailed to you at no cost.
The majority of Weis Center tickets range in price from $15 to $35 for adults, with discounts available for subscribers (5 or more events), senior citizens, college students, groups and youth.
Tickets for Weis Center events can be charged at Bucknell.edu/BoxOffice or by calling 570-577-1000.
Tickets will also be available in person from several locations including the Weis Center lobby weekdays 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and the CAP Center Box Office, located on the ground floor of the Elaine Langone Center, weekdays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.