Gluten-Free Trout in Lemon Butter Sauce
Sep 01, 2016 04:45PM
● By Melanie Heisinger
Gluten-Free Trout in Lemon Butter Sauce.
By Norm Mael
- 1 boneless trout, butterflied
- ¼ cup gluten-free flour or cornmeal
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan
- 2 ounces white wine
- 2 ounces vegetable or chicken stock
- ½ lemon
- 1 ounce cold butter
- Place the flour on a platter and coat both sides of the fish.
- Crack the eggs into a shallow bowl or a plate with at least a 1 inch lip. Dip the fish into egg, coating it on both sides.
- Place the olive oil in a 10- to 12-inch fry pan. Heat the oil until hot but not smoking. If you carefully drop a bit of egg in the oil, it should bubble quickly.
- Place the fish in the pan, skin side up. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the fish is golden-brown. Flip the fish using two spatulas. Cook until the skin side is golden-brown.
- Remove the fish from the pan and place on a plate. You can place the fish in the oven on low (175 to 200 degrees) to keep it warm.
- Drain the oil from the pan, and put the pan back on the stove. Carefully add the vegetable stock, wine and squeeze in the lemon (more or less to taste). Cook and allow to reduce by about half, and add the cold butter.
- Once the butter melts, pour over the fish and enjoy.
Notes: You will need a container to discard the hot oil after you are done frying the fish and you will need to adjust the cooking time based on the thickness of the fish or chicken.
Norm Mael is general manager of the Pine Barn Inn, Danville.