Red Cross Flood App Helps During Rising Water
Aug 20, 2015 04:49PM
● By Erica Shames
As heavy rains continue to reach across the region, The American Red Cross urges you to download the Flood App.
This free app gives iPhone, iPad and Android smartphone users instant access to local and real-time information, so they know what to do before, during and after a flood. The content is available in English and Spanish based on the user’s language settings on their mobile device. The app includes location-based, audible NOAA flood and flash flood watches and warnings – even if the app is closed.
“Floods are the most common natural disaster in the United States, and people can use the Red Cross app to create emergency plans so all household members know what to do if flooding threatens,” said Chris Weidenhammer, Regional Disaster Officer for the American Red Cross. “The audible alerts in the app can save lives - even when users are away from a radio or TV.”
Other features of the app include:
• One-touch “I’m safe” messaging that allows users to send a message letting family and friends know that they are out of harm’s way;
• Preloaded content that gives users instant access to critical action steps, even without mobile connectivity;
• Toolkit with flashlight, strobe light and audible alarm to let others know where you are;
• Locations of open Red Cross shelters;
• Real-time recovery resources for returning home and cleaning up; and
• Badges users can earn through interactive quizzes and share on social networks.
The Flood App, along with other Red Cross apps, can be found in the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store by searching for American Red Cross or by going to redcross.org/mobileapps.
All American Red Cross disaster assistance is provided free of charge and is made possible by the voluntary donations of time and money from caring individuals and, in part, by contributions given through the United Way. You can help people affected by disasters such as floods, fires, tornadoes and hurricanes by making a donation to support American Red Cross Disaster Relief. Visit www.redcross.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) to learn more. Contributions may be sent to The American Red Cross, 1804 N. 6th Street, Harrisburg, PA 17102 or any of our other area offices.