Woods in Your Backyard Landowner Workshop Takes Place Next Month
Jul 24, 2015 06:09PM
ChicoryLane Farm in Spring Mills will host a field day that will include information, discussion, and tours of conservation and habitat improvement projects in old fields, woods, and wetlands on Aug. 29, from 9 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.
The morning session will emphasize understanding your land by seeing key features of different areas. The afternoon session will emphasize envisioning future possibilities through in-depth discussions with specialists at different locations. Relationships between plants and wildlife in the landscape will be illustrated and explained. This workshop will emphasize walking and talking vs. sitting and listening.
Who is it for?
The event is appropriate for anyone interested in conservation and wildlife habitat improvement.
- Farmers and other landowners wishing to start a conservation or habitat improvement program
- Experienced landowners wanting to learn fresh approaches, practices, and ideas.
- Landowners interested in conservation or habitat improvement solutions for “problem spots.”
8:30 - Registration and coffee
9:00 - Welcome and Introductions
9:15 - Envisioning Your Land...Values
9:45 - Seeing Your Land… A Framework
10:00 - Guided property tours
12:00 - Lunch (provided)
1:00 - Visit optional breakout stations
3:00 - Wrap up3:15 - Departure
Information will be provided as participants tour numerous habitats and conservation projects. Tours will be led by natural resource management profes-sionals representing different conservation agencies.
- Developing cool and warm-season grasslands
- Establishing native wildflower meadows
- Identifying and controlling invasive plants
- Vernal pools and wetlands for wildlife
- Managing streamside and early successional habitats for wildlife
- Planting a new hardwood forest
- Landscaping with native plants
- Tree and shrub identification
There are two ways to register for this workshop:
You may register online with any major credit card (MasterCard, Visa, Discover, or American Express) at:
Call 814-355-4897 and we will take your registration over the phone.
The fee for attending the workshop is $15 per person (Includes lunch and educational materials)
Pre-registration is required: By Monday, August 24, 2015
Note: Space is limited so register early. If you have special needs please contact Dave Jackson (814-355-4897) prior to registering.
ChicoryLane Farm is owned by John and Catherine Smith. For more information, visit chicorylane.com