House Offers Look at Historic Architecture
Jul 16, 2015 05:44PM ● Published by Kevin
The limestone house was built by Ulster Scots immigrant Samuel Dale. The original structure consists of four equally sized rooms: a dining room and parlor on the main floor, two bedrooms on the second floor, with a kitchen hearth below the first floor. The ell was added between 1820 and 1840. The long porch was the last addition, c. 1880-1905. The house has its original woodwork: a simple but elegant center stairway, chair rails and cabinet work, and quarter-sawn American hickory floors. The house is a good example of 18th-19th century architecture, restored and maintained by the Union County Historical Society.
Tours include discussion of early immigration, slavery, Union County history, farming and dairying. The Wagon Shed has vintage farm equipment and the Milk House has a dairy display.