Web Extra: Fun Facts About Camels
Mar 06, 2015 12:24PM ● Published by Erica Shames
For more information
Camel Milk Association: camelmilkassociation.org
Christina Adams, author and camel milk for autism advocate (find her on Facebook)
Ronald RA Cardoso’s preliminary study: 20857626
Fun Camel Facts
- Camel’s humps do not store water, but actually are made of fat.
- Camels produce less waste due to their lower intake of water.
- A camel can resist drinking for up to 17 days, but can also drink up to 107 liters (or 28 gallons) of water within 7-8 minutes!
- Their thick coats reflect sunlight, which helps them avoid overheating in hot desert temperatures and helps them tolerate cold winter months like here in Pennsylvania.
- Camels only spit when they feel threatened, but are typically docile creatures.
- Camels are herbivores.
- Camels are milked twice a day.