Cooking at Home Chocolate-almond Biscotti
Jul 20, 2014 04:50PM
● By Erica Shames
Residents of Hershey, Pa., have always found delectable ways to keep their cookie jars filled. This satisfyingly crunchy two-tone treat—included in The Hershey, Pennsyvlania Cookbook, by Marilyn Odesser-Torpey—is from local resident and member of the Hershey-Derry Township Historical Society Joanne Lewis Curry, and reflects the town’s Italian heritage.
½ cup butter, softened
1 ¼ cups sugar
1 tsp almond extract
2 ¼ cups flour
¼ cup Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup Hershey’s semisweet chocolate chips
1 T shortening (do not use butter, margarine or oil)
¼ cup white chocolate chips
1 tsp shortening (do not use butter, margarine or oil)
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until well blended. Add eggs and almond extract. Beat until smooth.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Gradually add butter mixture, beating until smooth. (Dough will be thick.) Stir in almonds with wooden spoon.
- Divide dough in half. With tightly floured hands, shape each half into a rectangular log about 2 inches in diameter and 11 inches long; place at least 2 inches apart on a large ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until logs are set. Remove from oven; cool on a cookie sheet for 15 minutes. Using a serrated knife in a sawing motion, cut logs diagonally into ½-inch thick slices. Discard end pieces. Arrange slices, cut sides down, close together on a cookie sheet; bake for 8 to 9 minutes. Turn slices over; bake an additional 8 or 9 minutes. Remove from oven; cool on cookie sheet on wire rack.
- To make the chocolate glaze: Place semisweet chocolate chips and 1 T shortening in a small microwave-safe dish; microwave on high (100% power) for 1 to 1 ½ minutes or until smooth when stirred (makes about 1 cup).
- To make the white glaze: Place white chocolate chips and 1 tsp shortening in a small microwave-safe dish; microwave on high (100% power) for 30 to 45 seconds or until smooth when stirred (makes ¼ cup).
- Dip end of each biscotti in chocolate glaze or drizzle glaze over entire cookie. Drizzle white glaze over chocolate glaze. Garnish with additional almonds, if desired.
Makes 2 ½ dozen cookies